The principal objective of the Ultimate Plumber is to assist interactively and incrementally discover textual knowledge in Linux, by making it simpler to shortly construct complicated pipelines, due to a quick suggestions loop. This is achieved by boosting any typical Linux textual content-processing utils comparable to
perl, and many others., and many others., by offering a fast, interactive, scrollable preview of their outcomes.
$ lshw |& ./up
- use PgUp/PgDn and Ctrl-[←]/Ctrl-[→] for primary shopping by means of the command output;
- within the enter field on the prime of the display screen, begin writing any bash pipeline; then press Enter to execute the command you typed, and the Ultimate Plumber will instantly present you the output of the pipeline within the scrollable window under (changing any earlier contents)
- when you’re glad with the outcome, you possibly can press Ctrl-X to exit the Ultimate Plumber, and the command you constructed will likely be written into
up1.shfile within the present working listing (or, if it already existed,
up2.sh, and many others., till 1000, based mostly on Shlemiel the Painter’s algorithm). Alternatively, you possibly can press Ctrl-C to give up with out saving.
- If the command you piped into up is lengthy-operating (in such case you will note a tilde
~indicator character within the prime-left nook of the display screen, that means that up remains to be ready for extra enter), it’s possible you’ll must press Ctrl-S to briefly freeze up‘s enter buffer (a freeze will likely be indicated by a
#character in prime-left nook), which can inject a pretend EOF into the pipeline; in any other case, some instructions within the pipeline might not print something, ready for full enter (particularly instructions like
perl, and many others. may additionally present incomplete outcomes). To unfreeze again, press Ctrl-Q.
- The pipeline is handed verbatim to a
bash -ccommand, so any bash-isms ought to work.
- The enter buffer of the Ultimate Plumber is at present fastened at 40 MB. If you attain this restrict, a
+character ought to get displayed within the prime-left nook of the display screen. (This is meant to be modified to a dynamically/manually growable buffer in a future model of up.)
- MacOSX assist: I haven’t got a Mac, thus I don’t know if it really works on one. You are welcome to attempt, and in addition to ship PRs. If you are fascinated by me offering some sort of official-like assist for MacOSX, please think about looking for a approach to ship me some usable-sufficient Mac laptop. Please be aware I’m not attempting to “take advantage” of you by this, as I’m truly under no circumstances fascinated by reaching a Mac in any other case. (Also, attempting to decide to this sort of assist will likely be an additional burden and obligation on me. Knowing somebody out there cares sufficient to do a flowery bodily gesture would actually assist alleviate this.) If you are severe sufficient to contemplate this feature, please contact me by e-mail (mailto:[email protected]) or keybase (https://keybase.io/akavel), so that we might attempt to analysis doable methods to attain this. Thanks for understanding!
- Prior artwork: I used to be shocked nobody appeared to put in writing an analogous instrument earlier than, that I might discover. It ought to have been doable to put in writing this for the reason that daybreak of Unix already, or earlier! And certainly, after I introduced up, I bought sufficient publicity that my consideration was directed to 1 such earlier challenge already: Pipecut. Looks attention-grabbing! You might like to check it too! (Thanks @TronDD.)
- Other influences: I do not keep in mind the actual fact too effectively already, however I’m somewhat positive that this should have been impressed in huge half by The Bret Victor’s Talk(s).